Immigration Staff Attorney – Catholic Charities Community Services, Archdiocese of New York – New York, NY
Posted on September 11, 2013
- Advice and counsel to and supervision of migration counselors in general immigrant and non-immigrant status matters, including, but not limited to: family reunification (adjustment of status), visa extension and change of status, religious worker, naturalization, green card extension, travel/advance parole, special adjustment relief (NACARA, HRIFA, Cuban Adjustment Act), etc.
- Representation, as needed, in cases of migration counselors;
- Working under the supervision of the Divisional Director on existing caseload of 70+ complex immigration cases, including removal proceedings.
- Screening, advising, and representing individuals, detained and non-detained, facing removal proceedings or other immigration-related federal litigation matters, including, but not limited to: cancellation of removal, asylum, Board of Immigration Appeals (and federal appeals practice under supervision and upon approval), representation on the juvenile docket, etc.
- Counseling and representing individuals in more specialized and complex immigration applications including, but not limited to: special juvenile immigrant petition, VAWA petitions, U and T visa applications, deferred action, inadmissibility waivers, etc.
- Supervising and training law student interns;
- Assisting with emergency walk-in cases, as necessary.
- Providing in-house and outreach trainings, presentations and workshops, as directed.
- Maintaining and updating case files and case management database.
- Compiling monthly statistics and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor;
- Two years or more of post-JD experience in immigration law preferred;
- Fluency in 2nd language (Spanish or French preferred);
- Admission to a bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent organizational skills;
- Computer proficiency.
Please e-mail resume and letter of interest to Mario Russell at email@example.com.