Staff Attorney – Legal Aid of Arkansas – Little Rock, AR
Posted on January 7, 2014
Legal Aid of Arkansas is a public interest, not-for-profit law firm dedicated to assuring equal access to justice in civil matters for low income Arkansans.
We are seeking a staff attorney to focus on service delivery in kinship care situations and to assist with increasing client intake opportunities at Medical-Legal Partnership through the development of technology innovations and other means. The attorney will represent clients and conduct outreach and community education in kinship care situations. The attorney will also assist in the development of a technology based screening tool to be integrated into the LAA case management system and used at MLP locations. Other duties may include integration into an LAA substantive work group, helpline duties, development of legal fact sheets and outreach materials, and other duties as assigned. This position would be focused in the 1st Judicial District and at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.
Job duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Representing clients in all levels of a case, including negotiations, administrative hearings, trial, and appeal.
- Conducting community legal education.
- Drafting legal fact sheets, screeners, and outreach materials.
- Integration into an LAA workgroup.
- Development and implementation of a technology initiative grant focused on MLP client screening and intake.
- Establish a network of kinship caregivers and supportive social service agencies to generate referrals and build support structures for kinship family services.
- Conducting intakes and interviews for applicants seeking legal assistance.
- Arkansas bar admission or eligibility for reciprocity in Arkansas.
- Familiarity with kinship care related laws and issues, including but not limited to guardianships, healthcare access, education access, and various other economic justice issues such as SNAO, TEA or disability.
- Strong technology skills and familiarity with web based technology preferred.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Trial court experience preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain good community relationships.
- Driver’s license and ability to travel throughout the LAA service area.
If interested, please send resume to Lee Richardson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary DOE with excellent benefits. Legal Aid of Arkansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.