Seeking Freelance Legal Writers (telecommuting possible) – Nolo/Internet Brands
Posted on May 28, 2014
Nolo, the oldest and foremost publisher of do-it-yourself legal books and software for consumers, and Internet Brands, a leader in online publishing for vertical markets, are seeking writers with a strong legal background to contribute well-written, informative articles to our portfolio of legal websites. Writers must be able to read statutes, understand legal issues, and put the law into plain English for a general audience.
For more than 40 years, Nolo has been dedicated to publishing the best, most accurate and up-to-date legal information available. We take our mission seriously. If you share our passion for making the legal system accessible to everyone–and can translate legalese into English—we’d love to hear from you.
This is a 100% freelance, telecommuting position. Assignments, writing, editing, and submissions are all handled through our online system. All you need is a computer, internet access, and the ability to deliver clean, concise copy on a variety of legal topics.
- Ability to write in an authoritative, neutral tone.
- Ability to translate legal concepts into articles and FAQs that can be easily understood by a consumer audience.
- A law degree and experience as a practicing lawyer.
- Strong research and fact-checking skills.
- Attention to detail and the desire to provide accurate legal information to the reader.
We are currently looking for lawyers who are strong writers in the following areas:
- Bankruptcy-a practitioner who is knowledgeable in Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
- Debt & Credit-a lawyer with in-depth knowledge and experience in debt collection and/or credit issues.
- Estate Planning – requires at least two years’ experience in estate planning or administration.
- Immigration – an attorney who is actively engaged in immigration law practice and familiar with immigration-related codes, regulations, and current policies.
- Landlord/Tenant- experience representing commercial or residential landlords or tenants.
- Personal Injury- experience handling personal injury claims and lawsuits.
- Real Estate- experience in property transactions, including all aspects of buying & selling.
- Medicaid – estate planning experience in the field of asset protection for Medicaid planning purposes.
- Criminal Defense -experience as a prosecutor or criminal defense attorney.
- Tax Law -tax law experience.
- Small Business-significant small business law experience.
- Disability Law -experience as a disability lawyer in the fields of Social Security, LTD, ADA access, or workers’ compensation.
Student Loans – We have a particular need for lawyers conversant with student loan debt issues, including government programs for repayment or cancellation, collection issues, and more. If you would like to apply for this area please apply in the Bankruptcy section and include a note saying you would like to apply to write for student loans
If you join the Nolo writing team, a legal editor who has expertise in your subject area will assign and edit your articles. Most articles we publish are from 600 to 1200 words long. Rates vary from $25 to $75; as you would expect, we pay more for longer and more complicated articles.
If you have any questions, feel free to send an e-mail to email@example.com.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.