AmeriCorps Legal Fellows – Legal Aid of Arkansas – Delta Region and Ozark Region
Posted on June 11, 2014
Legal Aid of Arkansas, Inc.
Agency Description: Legal Aid of Arkansas (LAA) is a public interest, not-for-profit law firm dedicated to assuring equal access to justice in civil matters for low income Arkansans through legal representation, advocacy, community partnerships, education and outreach.
Position Summary: The Equal Justice Works/Employment Opportunity Legal Corps, AmeriCorps Legal Fellows will be responsible for providing civil legal assistance, outreach, and education to remove barriers to employment for economically disadvantaged individuals. Positions are contingent on host site receiving grant funding.
Two (2) positions are available – 1. in LAA’s Delta Region with an office in Helena-West Helena, Jonesboro, Newport or West Memphis, and 2. in LAA’s Ozark Region with an office in Harrison or Springdale. Term of service is one year, with a possibility of renewal.
Responsibilities and Duties:
*Handle caseload, counsel and advise clients on their legal rights, conduct legal research and writing and represent clients in court;
*Develop informational and legal education materials;
*Assure that Employment Opportunity information on the program website is accurate and updated;
* Work closely with work force, education, probation, parole, and drug court authorities to develop successful reentry and recidivism projects;
*Coordinate and conduct community education and outreach at community forums and continuing legal education seminars;
*Assume general administrative responsibilities, including grant compliance, timekeeping and case management.
· Licensed to practice law in Arkansas, awaiting bar results or reciprocity as of August 2014, or willing to sit for the Arkansas bar exam in February, 2015;
· Familiarity with, and interest in, working in low income and diverse communities;
· Commitment to public interest work and strong desire to assist indigent clients;
· Strong writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
· Prior experience or training in public interest law preferred;
· Valid driver’s license, liability insurance, and access to an automobile;
LAA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.
AmeriCorps Fellowship Living Allowance ($40,800, which includes):
* Living allowance of $24,200;
* $1,383 per month supplemental benefits; and
* $5,550 education award on successful completion of 1,700 hours service in a year.
Other Benefits and Professional Opportunities:
Standard fellowship benefits:
· Eligibility to place all qualified student loans into forbearance and receive an interest accrual payment at the end of service;
· Opportunity to attend a national training program to develop leadership skills, learn effective practices to accomplish your projects and meet colleagues from across the country, and
· Child care assistance (if income eligible).
In addition to the standard fellowship benefits, LAA will also provide:
* Medical, dental, and life insurance;
*Supreme Court and State/Local Bar dues;
*Mileage reimbursement and per diem when applicable;
*Retirement plan contribution per program policy; and
*Training and continuing legal education in relevant poverty law areas, as needed.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Legal Aid of Arkansas
714 South Main
Jonesboro, AR 72401
No phone calls please. E-mail is the preferred method to communicate interest.