Food Recovery Resources
Hungry for More?
Want to gain a deeper understanding about the problem of food waste and the benefits of food recovery?
- Jonathan Bloom's Wasted Food blog
- American Wasteland, Jonathan Bloom
- Natural Resources Defense Council: Food Waste Issue Paper (pdf)
- Sustainable America’s Study of American Attitudes About Food Waste
- The Grace Communication Foundation / Sustainable Table’s Food Waste portal
Need help figuring out how to implement a food recovery program?
- Food Recovery Network: Focused on implementing food recovery programs at colleges & universities
- Campus Kitchens Project: Working with students and educational institutions to empower the next generation of leaders, implement innovative models for combating hunger, develop just food systems and promote community sufficiency.
- EPA’s Sustainable Food Management Webinars: Provides technical assistance to grocers, venues, and universities endeavoring to reduce their food waste
- EPA’s Food Waste Management Calculator: A useful tool for estimating the cost competitiveness of alternatives to food waste disposal, including source reduction, donation, composting, and recycling of yellow grease. This calculator will help businesses develop alternative food waste management scenarios based on their own waste profile, the availability of diversion methods, enterprise preferences, and cost-comparisons.
- Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection Supermarket Composting Resources and Handbook
- EPA Guidance of Recovering Food For Animal Feed
- EPA Information Regarding Biodiesel Production with Recovered Fats, Oils, and Grease
- Federal Enhanced Tax Deduction for Food Donation: a legal guide
In search of guidance on field gleaning?
- Society of St. Andrew
- Interfaith Food Shuttle
- University of California – Santa Cruz: History of Gleaning
- Ample Harvest, an organization focused on garden-scale gleaning and donation
Looking for feeding charities and others groups interested in repurposing recovered food?
Interested in the federal government’s position and initiatives on food recovery?
On June 4, 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) launched a collaborative effort to raise awareness of the environmental, health, and nutrition issues created by food waste.
- EPA’s Sustainable Food Management Webinars: provides technical assistance to grocers, venues, and universities endeavoring to reduce their food waste.
- USDA Blog Entries on Food Waste
PLEASE NOTE: The resources created and compiled by the Food Recovery Project provide a helpful introduction to federal laws pertaining to food donation. However, the information on this site about legal matters is provided as a general guide only and should not be relied on as a substitute for specific legal advice. The Food Recovery Project endeavors to keep all the information on the site as up to date as possible but errors may sometimes occur. Links to third party websites are provided for your convenience and do not imply that we endorse those sites.