School of Law
1045 W. Maple St.
Robert A. Leflar Law Center
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Phone: (479) 575-5601
Stephen M. Sheppard
Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development, William H. Enfield Distinguished Professor of Law
B.A., J.D., Cert. Int'l L., LL.M., M.Litt., J.S.D.
Phone: (479) 575-7127
Office: WATR 229
Steve Sheppard teaches international and environmental law, constitutional law, legal history, and jurisprudence, property, remedies and other common law courses. He is a member of the graduate faculty in Political Science, the core faculty in Public Policy, and the advisory faculties for European Studies and the King Fahd Center for Middle Eastern Studies. He has taught in New York University's Global Law School Program in New York. He has lectured or presented in China, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, and Sweden.
He is a faculty adviser to the International Law Society, the Journal of Islamic Law and Culture, the Environmental Law Society, and the H.L.A. Hart Society. His public service includes enlistment and commission in the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve and membership in the Iraq Advisory Group of the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, in 2005.
He practiced law with Phelps Dunbar in its Louisiana, Mississippi, and London offices, and served as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge William Barbour, Jr. and to U.S. Appellate Judge E. Grady Jolly, Jr. A member of the bar in Mississippi, Sheppard continues to consult and advise charities and governmental agencies. He is a member of the American Law Institute and a Master in the American Inns of Court.
His first degree is in political science from the University of Southern Mississippi. He holds a Juris Doctor and Master of Laws from Columbia University and holds a post J.D. certificate in international law from the Parker School for International and Comparative Law at Columbia. He was made Master of Letters by Oxford University and Doctor of the Science of Law by Columbia University.
His scholarship ranges widely among legal history, legal philosophy, comparative and international law, constitutional law, and the general principles of law. He writes particularly about the law of war and the development of English law in the seventeenth century. He is a fellow of the Royal Historical Society, based in London.
- The Wolters Kluwer Bouvier Law Dictionary: Compact Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2011).
- The Wolters Kluwer Bouvier Law Dictionary: iApp (Wolters Kluwer, 2011).
- I Do Solemnly Swear: The Moral Obligations of Legal Officials (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Allan Farnsworth, Introduction to the Legal Systems of the United States (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Oxford University Press, 4th ed., 2010).
- Karl Llewellyn, The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Oxford University Press, 2008).
- American Law in a Global Context: The Basics (Oxford University Press, 2005) (with George Fletcher).
- The Selected Writings of Sir Edward Coke (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Three Volumes) (Liberty Fund, 2003) (revised edition, 2005)
- The History of U.S Legal Education: Contemporary Essays and Primary Materials (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Two Volumes) (Salem Press, 1998) (Lawbook Exchange, 2006).
Select Book Introductions
- "Sahib's Courts and Babu's Laws: An Introduction to Cowell's Short Treatise on Hindu Law" in Herbert Cowell, Short Treatise on Hindu Law (Lawbook Exchange, 2009).
- "The Works of John Selden: An Introduction for the American Reader" in John Selden, Opera Omnia (Lawbook Exchange 2008).
- "Law, God, Custom, and Duties in Sir William Jones's Ordinances of Menu: An Introduction for the American Reader" in William Jones, Ordinances of Menu (Lawbook Exchange 2007).
- "Guerrilla Parties, The Lieber Code, and the Law of War" in Francis Lieber, Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States (Lawbook Exchange, 2005).
- Caperton, Due Process, and Judicial Duty: Recusal Oversight in Patrons' Cases, 46 Arkansas Law Review 113 (2011).
- What Oaths Meant to the Framers' Generation: A Preliminary Sketch, 2009 Cardozo L. Rev. de novo 273.
- Teach Justice, 43 Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review 599 (2008).
- The Law of War in the Pre-Dawn Light: Institutions and Obligations in Thucydides' Peloponnesian War, 43 Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 905 (2005).
- The Metamorphoses of Reasonable Doubt: How Changes in the Burden of Proof May Weaken the Presumption of Innocence, 78 Notre Dame Law Review 1165 (2003).
- Passion and Nation: War, Crime, and Guilt in the Individual and the Collective, 78 Notre Dame Law Review 761 (2003).
- Paul Dudley: Heritage, Observation, and Conscience, 5 Massachusetts Legal History (2000).
- The Perfectionisms of John Rawls, 11 The Canadian Journal of Law and Jurisprudence 383 (1998).
- Casebooks, Commentaries and Curmudgeons: An Introductory History of Law in the Lecture Hall, 78 Iowa Law Review 547 (1997).
- The State Interest in the Good Citizen: Constitutional Balance Between the Citizen and the Perfectionist State, 45 Hastings Law Journal 969 (1994).