Law Student Emergency Fund
These are challenging times, and some of you are experiencing unusual financial hardship as a result. Please know you are my top priority, and unexpected expenses don’t have put your legal education at risk. We are actively working to find creative ways to support and encourage you, knowing that your personal success and well-being throughout this crisis will, in many ways, shape the kind of legal professional you will become.
We have established the Law Student Emergency Fund to assist those of you who are experiencing a financial emergency or unforeseen expense that, if not resolved quickly, could hinder your ability to remain in school. Below, please find information on how to apply to this relief fund.
I hope you have had time to read some of the messages on the #UARKLawCares page. These law school alumni, faculty, staff, and friends believe in and want to encourage you as you navigate this challenging time. If you have an inspirational note or video you’d like to share with your fellow students, then please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it on social media with the hashtag #UARKLawCares.
We are in this together, and we’re here to help.
Margaret Sova McCabe
The Law Student Emergency Fund was established to assist University of Arkansas School of Law students who are experiencing a financial emergency due to unforeseen circumstances beyond their control which could hinder their ability to continue in school.
The number of students who can be served by the Law Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds which are sustained by contributions from alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the School of Law.
Generally, awards do not exceed $500. The committee will review application requests in excess of $500 for rare and compelling circumstances. Applicants may be required to meet with the senior associate dean for students to discuss their application.
NOTE: If you currently receive financial aid, please be aware that additional assistance through the Law Student Emergency Fund may affect your future aid packages, and funds received may be taxed as income.
Possible Expenses Covered (this list is not exhaustive)
- Medications and other costs related to emergency medical care
- Rent to prevent eviction
- Replacement of essential personal belongings or temporary housing needs due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Safety needs (i.e., changing a lock)
- Travel costs related to a death or illness in the immediate family
- Technology costs to aid with online learning
Expenses Not Covered (this list is not exhaustive)
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel, or other non-essential expenses
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets
Eligibility Requirements (to be considered for this financial aid, students must)
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Arkansas School of Law
- Have an immediate financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected, critical incident which puts their education at risk
- Submit a complete application with supporting documentation
For questions about the fund, please contact Tory Gaddy at email@example.com.APPLY NOW