Law Student Emergency Fund
To Our Students,
We know that life happens. And we know that life happens to good people even while they are enrolled in law school. We can help.
If you are experiencing an unusual financial hardship, please let us know. It is our priority to support and encourage you as you prepare for your career as a legal professional. Lawyers support lawyers and you became a member of the Arkansas legal community on your first day of orientation.
The School of Law established the Law Student Emergency Fund in 2020 to assist those of you who are experiencing a financial emergency or unforeseen expense that, if not resolved quickly, could hinder your ability to remain in school. The emergency fund is made possible due to generous gifts from our alumni, faculty and staff, and by a grant from AccessLex. Your personal welfare and success are our paramount concern, so please reach out for assistance if you are in need. The funding guidelines and instructions on how to apply are included in the information on the website below. You may be assured your request will be handled confidentially.
Lawyers support lawyers. That is what we do.
Dean and Nathan G. Gordon Professor of Law
The Law Student Emergency Fund was established to assist University of Arkansas School of Law students who are experiencing a financial emergency due to unforeseen circumstances beyond their control which could hinder their ability to continue in school.
The number of students who can be served by the Law Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds which are sustained by contributions from alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the School of Law.
Generally, awards do not exceed $500. The committee will review application requests in excess of $500 for rare and compelling circumstances. Applicants may be required to meet with the senior associate dean for students to discuss their application.
NOTE: If you currently receive financial aid, please be aware that additional assistance through the Law Student Emergency Fund may affect your future aid packages, and funds received may be taxed as income.
Possible Expenses Covered (this list is not exhaustive)
- Medications and other costs related to emergency medical care
- Rent to prevent eviction
- Replacement of essential personal belongings or temporary housing needs due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Safety needs (i.e., changing a lock)
- Travel costs related to a death or illness in the immediate family
- Technology costs to aid with online learning
Expenses Not Covered (this list is not exhaustive)
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel, or other non-essential expenses
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets
Eligibility Requirements (to be considered for this financial aid, students must)
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Arkansas School of Law
- Have an immediate financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected, critical incident which puts their education at risk
- Submit a complete application with supporting documentation
For questions about the fund, please contact Erin Feller at firstname.lastname@example.org.APPLY NOW